Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Wishing the Rest of the World was Awake at 2:00 a.m.

It's been a strange and busy month or so getting back into the groove of being back at the hospital.  I don't yet feel that I am completely on my game, but getting there.  The major difficulty is just getting used to the schedule, but that much I expected and understood when I took the job. 

All in all it is fantastic being back and I sincerely love taking care of little ones and being a part of one of the biggest events in peoples lives.  It is a really cool job.

Lately I have been engrossed in school, planning school for Shaner, and trying to keep on top of a social life, and oh yea, dealing with a broken puppies. 

Mol broke her leg in two places about a week ago and a half.  I suppose that doesn't seem like a big deal, but let me explain.  She just simply landed on it funny and yelped.  When Shane picked her up she started making this terrible screaming noise and bit his arm a couple times (hard enough to draw blood), so we knew she was hurt.  Luckily, we were able to drive to the vets office and they took x-rays and loaded her up with some morphine.  Puppy was high as a kite!  It was obvious that she had broken it, but it was a maybe on the surgery front at that point because the bone was still in perfect position.  They just wrapped her leg and told us prevent the bone from moving.......It was quite the sitch.  She couldn't walk, so we carried her everywhere to make sure she didn't bear weight, including using the bathroom, eating, etc.  She would wake up every few minutes and try to walk on it, or turn on the other side and end up yelping.  We had to watch her constantly.  Shaner and I ended up taking turns sleeping, whoever needed it most, because who wants to shell out $2,000 for their dog to have surgery?  Not I.  We watched her like a hawk and ended up avoiding the surgery, but it was extremely frustrating.  I am so glad we didn't have to do the surgery, and I have a job that allowed for us to keep such a good eye on her.  My parents where lifesavers - they took Bruce for a few days because poor dog was being completely neglected and he likes their house better anyway.  It sounds like a lot of stupid effort for a dog, but I feel responsible as an dog owner to make sure they are healthy.  I bought the dog, I gotta follow through. 

If we take having dogs this seriously, just imagine what us discussing having children looks like - HA!

I apologize for not being "there" as much as I have previously for everyone, life lately seems like a constant adjustment and I feel like I hav't been as good of a friend, sister, sister-in-law, daughter, and etc. as I should be.  I am sorry.  I will do better.  Love ya!

Here are a few pics of the ordeal (thanks to the pretty new cam the hubby bought for me - he is more than I deserve):

Pre-Brokeness -



Post-break -




This is why she couldn't be left alone - This happened in only two hours, and do you see the new pink cast on that right leg?  Awesome.  That WAS a foam pad under a dog bed and blakets when we left.  Ha!


And just some other random canine goodness with the new camera until we can get out of the house for some new photo subjects:p.


Love this mug - Obviously!



The saddest eyes you ever saw.  I love me a basset hound!



Now that is a happy dog!


1 comment: